During this unique time USL has worked with multiple community members, from a variety of fields and specialties, to create web-based presentations and experiences for our USL community and the greater public. They are designed to give interesting options for families (adults and children) during this time spent at home. You can find more details and links to these events on our Facebook page. We hope you’ll join us and enjoy!
These will be Zoom sessions (40 min presentation and then 15 min Q&A). Please email Jason Kreutner (email@example.com) which class(es) you’d like to take to receive a confirmation or class full notification by email. There are space-limitations. Registered participants will get links and passwords emailed about 30 minutes before each class begins. Please feel free to share these opportunities. If you can’t make one or find a past one interesting, many have been recorded to view at a later date. In partnership with the Charleston Area Convention Center and Visitors Bureau, we are sharing several area cultural attractions and presentations from practitioners of interesting activities and services. These hosted activities share what local businesses and organizations are up to, so that we all learn where they are and what they do, encouraging the public to support and visit them once this extraordinary period of dislocation is over. You can find more information by following links to our Facebook Events page and videos of some previously held sessions are located on our YouTube channel. Please enjoy!
Wednesday, 4/15 (10 AM) – “A Tour of the Old Exchange and Provost Dungeon“
Wednesday, 4/15 (11 AM) – “Learn about the SCDNR Marine Turtle Conservation Program“
Thursday, 4/16 (10 AM) – “The Spirit of South Carolina (Charleston’s tall ship)“
Thursday, 4/16 (11 AM) – “Learn More about Community Sailing in Charleston Harbor“
Friday, 4/17 (2 PM) – “Learn How to Turn a T-Shirt into a Tote Bag”
We enjoyed having community members join us for the events we hosted over Spring Break 2020. Check out our YouTube channel for video recordings of some of these sessions!
- Cooking lesson (Mat Clark from Leon’s Oyster Shop)
- Flower arranging
- History of pandemics (C of C Professor Jacob Steere-Williams); Home fitness tips (Personal Trainer, T.J. Medlock)
- A comparative view of COVID-19 (Dr. Nikos Davarinos – a Greek-native physician in Ireland and C of C alum); History of Jazz music (USL community only)
- What American citizens need to know to prepare for voting and elections in November 2020 (several speakers from the League of Women Voters)
- Navigating the expanded online offerings of the Charleston County Public Library (Mayci Rechner, CCPL Multimedia Coordinator
- We are also working on virtual exploration of Charleston’s new Visitors Center, one of South Carolina’s State Parks, a tour of a historic Charleston house, and more!